Sunday, March 30, 2014

2Hands, Part 2

I stopped in at the new blind massage place this afternoon.

It breaks my heart to say this, but it puts KL's blind massage centres -- even the best of them -- to shame.

The level of massage training in KL over the years has been in steady decline. Recent graduates are little more than automatons. They go through a memorised routine, which they don't vary to accommodate people's pain tolerance, injuries, preferences or needs. Most of them can't speak or understand enough English to work with non-Malay speakers -- they don't have the vocabulary for body parts, or 'Is the pressure ok?' or 'Why are you screaming when I rearrange your neck?'

In contrast, nearly all of the Cambodian masseurs I've encountered can speak at least the important bits of English and are generally more skilled at their work.  And this place, true to the manager's word, is a step above the others. She won't hire a masseur that doesn't have at least five years' experience, and she gives them work according to their strengths. If this one hasn't proven that he can give excellent foot massage, he will never touch a client's feet.  The manager actually asked me about my needs and preferences -- any injury or illness, for example? -- before she introduced me to the masseuse.  I've never experienced that in Malaysia.

These are the chairs for foot and head/neck massage. Never mind about the splashy upholstery, do you see the openings in the back for your face?  This is proper massage furniture!

'

The beds for the full-body massage are in another room, also very purple in nature.  I had the one hour shiatsu massage, and my masseuse was Srey Pich.  (Pich means "diamond", which in her case is very apt.) 

Here's the full menu and price list. It's far less than half the going rate in KL for a much better experience.


I took a handful of the 2Hands flyers and will pass them out to everyone I meet whom I think will give the place some business.  And to all my friends who either do or did patronise the blind massage centres in Brickfields, come up and give this place a try!  


No comments:

Post a Comment