Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pictures? Patience, please.

My apologies for having gone AWOL for a while.

I have been working, as incredible as that may sound.  Following the advice of a friend, I placed a couple of proofreading and copy-editing listings on a website that lists all manner of freelance services. To my alternating amazement, delight and consternation, the work has started to pour in.

I've been correcting the business emails of Korean post-grad students, ensuring proper and consistent comma usage in erotic novels, correcting spelling and sentence structure in an application to a California seminary, jazzing up some web site copy for the developer of a new app to hook up fitness addicts with gyms and trainers, compiling a list of 750 words to illustrate all the phonemes in the English language for the Vietnamese developer of an early-reading application, and oh so much more. Oh, I forgot -- I'm also writing copy for a construction/renovation company in Mallorca.

I'm old enough to remember life before the internet, but I still marvel at this turn of events.

Here in Cambodia, though, we have now entered the 15 days of Pchum Ben, the lunar holiday to honour the ancestors.  The official holidays are the last three days, which fall on Monday - Wednesday, 22 - 24 September this year.  Like Khmer New Year, this is another holiday which results in an exodus from Phnom Penh as Khmers go home to the provinces.  I have been eagerly waiting for this, very keen to ride my bike all over the empty city.  When I do that, I'll take my camera with me, and you shall have photos galore.  Good photos?  Don't push your luck.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again and looking forward to the photos! I hope you receive prompt and generous remuneration for your copywriting/editing/reviewing services!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, payment is prompt, since the web site demands pre-payment for all services. It is lovely to be freed of the billing and all the folderol that comes with it, but the good people who run the web site keep 20% of each sale for their efforts. Given that all the business is coming through them and they're handling all the money collection, I suppose that's reasonable.

      Delete